Thursday, February 26, 2009

To Face or Not to Face?


I'm faced with a dilemma this morning. I came up with a list of possible resolutions, but each one is equally unappealing to me.

Which would you choose?
  1. Participate and make the most of it
  2. Speak up and face the conflict and/or hurt feelings
  3. Call in sick for the day and hope things will be different tomorrow
  4. Walk away

I think the next logical question is: How important is the matter at hand? Do you think the answer becomes clear then? And how do we get out of the #1-#3 cycle if the matter is not important enough for #2 or #4?

I cannot bear #1 because the idea is so bizarre and opposite of who I am. I cannot bear #2 because the risk is too high. I cannot bear #3 because it goes against my ethics. I cannot bear #4 because I still want to be a part of the whole.

Hmm... Do you ever find yourself in a similar situation?

4 comments:

  1. #5 Make a note or time capsule. Let the issue resolve itself as it invariably does. Let the note serve as a constant reminder of how issues resolve themselves. Repeat if necessary.

    Troy
    www.nibipedia.com

    PS-
    It is no longer about numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hard to say as one person's dilema is not another's. Legally, one must stand up for what is right...is it a legal issue? Moral issue?

    Personally, I now stand up for what is right; trying to do so in a manner that does not inflame.
    Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Troy!

    Thank you for the #5. Yes, I agree that is often the case, as was in my recent event that I was writing about (yay!). I think #5 requires insight and patience, but I am often tragically lacking in that patience part. Oh well... ;-)

    Ah, and yes, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to hear that it is no longer about numbers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lianne,

    Thank you for your comment. It's fascinating to hear the different perspectives. If everything were labeled "right" and "wrong," then it would make our lives so much easier, wouldn't it?

    Hmm... perhaps that's why we're so drawn to rules and regulations... and religion...

    ReplyDelete