Saturday, March 28, 2009

Psychology of Eve - Another Perspective


When I started this blog last year, I had every intention of focusing only on my experience with the MBTI and keeping it light and fun. I had another blog which I had decided to place on hiatus where I used to write about spiritual issues. Before I knew it, I lost my focus, and I have no idea where this blog is going. Go figure! It's not unlike the way I do everything else in life. Staying on track is extremely difficult for an ENTP.

So here I continue with my tangent that I started yesterday about religion:

Hugo posted a new blog post about how people interpret the Bible differently and gave this link at the end of his post. It is an interesting perspective of a Bible passage written by RLP (Real Live Preacher). I've been browsing through RLP's blog and found his video recommendations on how to read the Bible - also very interesting...

RLP's writing reminded me of a story of Eve I had written some time ago on the old blog.

My interpretation of what happened in the garden (Gen 2:15 ~ 3:13):

Eve was a gift to Adam. The moment he saw her, he immediately loved her. She came out of him. She was a part of him. He knew he would never be whole again without her.

Eve suddenly found herself standing before Adam as the object of his affection and love. He was everything to her. She liked the feeling of being needed, wanted, desired. The more Adam gave to her, the more she wanted of him. She soon realized that Adam was willing to do anything within his power to satisfy her. She could ask him for anything, and he provided. He ruled over the land and all the other living things. His knowledge and wisdom came directly from God, and there was nothing that Adam was not able to produce for her.

This puzzled and intrigued Eve very much. Adam seemed to have a special relationship with God that she did not have. She was not a part of it. She wanted Adam all to herself. She did not want to share him with God. She was also envious of Adam's abilities that she did not have. Why did she always have to look to him for her needs? She wanted to be able to do things for herself. She wanted to do what he could do.

While she was sitting and sulking one day, a serpent slithered towards her. It looked directly into her eyes, and it was as if its thoughts were speaking to her thoughts. These thoughts were powerfully hypnotizing and seemed to take control of her mind. The serpent understood all that she had been feeling. He told her she had every right to be upset over the relationship between God and Adam. Adam should rightfully be all hers. She should be number one to him, not God.

He was the one who mentioned the tree. He asked her about the tree. He asked if God himself said that they shouldn't eat from any tree in the garden. She thought about it, but could not remember exactly what Adam had told her. She remembered that it was the tree in the middle of the garden, but no other details. As a matter of fact, Adam told her that God gave him the instructions before she was even created. God had not spoken directly to her. She suddenly wondered why. Was she not good enough? She couldn't have her new friend thinking that she was not very intelligent.

She just blurted out, "Ummm... You must not eat from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and... um... oh yeah, you must not touch it either, or you will die."

Her friend chuckled and said, "You will not surely die. Do you realize how silly that sounds? How can you die from eating a piece of fruit? That doesn't even sound logical, does it?"

He kindly looked at her, and he seemed so smart and wise. He made her feel validated.

She asked him, "Then why would God not want us to eat the fruit?"

He smiled and gave her the most amazing information by saying, "The tree is called the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. God knows that if you eat of it, you will become like Him and be able to know all that he knows. You will become self-sufficient. He knows you will then no longer need Him. That's what he does not want."

He added, "It's strictly up to you, but I don't see anything wrong with becoming like God, do you?" He then slithered away.

Eve was very tempted. He said she could be just like God. That would mean that She could finally have Adam all to herself. In addition, she can begin to provide for herself without depending on him. She will have to convince Adam to eat the fruit also. If the serpent happens to be wrong, and if something bad were to happen from eating the fruit, she definitely did not want to be alone. She knew there were risks involved, but she thought it was definitely worth a try.

When she proposed the idea to Adam, he was clearly upset. She'd never seen him so confused. However, she knew she could somehow convince him of the idea. She was going to get her way if it was the last thing she did. She pleaded with him to listen to her. She wanted him to see how much she loved him and that they could be happy together without God always having to be in the middle of it.

She brought him to the tree and showed him how harmless and delicious the fruit looked. She touched the tree. Nothing happened. She reached up and picked a fruit. Nothing happened. She looked into Adams eyes and took a bite of the fruit. It tasted amazing. She closed her eyes and waited. Nothing happened.

The bewildered look in Adam's eyes began to soften. He was now puzzled. She smiled and picked another fruit. She handed it to Adam. Adam stood in front of her with the fruit in his hand, and he looked so handsome, so brave. She told him how much she admired and respected him.

He slowly brought the fruit to his lips and took a bite. He did not die. But in that moment, EVERYTHING changed. They saw things that they did not see before. They felt things that they did not feel before. They looked down and suddenly felt extremely uncomfortable about their nakedness. They were filled with fear. They ran for cover to hide from each other. They found fig leaves and sewed them together to cover their bodies.

Shortly thereafter, they heard God walking through the garden. They were terrified that He would find them in their current state, so they hid behind the trees. God called to Adam, and Adam had to answer him. He tried to explain to God that the reason he was hiding was because he was ashamed of his own nakedness. He wanted God to know that he still loved Him. God asked him if he ate the forbidden fruit. Adam pointed to Eve and tried to claim his innocence. After all, God gave her to him. He could not take the blame.

God then turned to Eve and spoke to her. This shocked Eve, in that this was the first time that God spoke to her directly. It somehow gave her a sense of importance for one fleeting moment. Then she was filled with fear again. What will become of her? She had to think of something to save both Adam and herself from this interrogation. She then decided to reveal her source. In her mind, that was the only way. She had to hang onto their survival even at the cost of betraying a friend. She divulged the information that the serpent had given her. She told God that she did not want to listen to him, but that he deceived her and convinced her into believing him.

She had no idea of the truth that she spoke...


6 comments:

  1. Hi. I enjoy reading your blog and think you're really great, but I have to disagree on this particular perspective. I don't think God gave any less attention to Eve than he did to Adam.

    I just finished reading the book "Captivating" (fantastic book by the way for the most part) and it really explained what could have really happened in the garden. "Satan" or "Lucifer" was beautiful right? The most beautiful of all. And Eve was made to bear God's magnificent beauty as the crown of his creation. She was most beautiful and the last thing God created. And there is a pattern to the creation story of creating from the least to most complex. Are you thinking GIRL POWER? :)

    So Lucifer would despised Eve the most, because he used to be "the most beautiful" and so beautiful that his vanity consumed him. Now that God has made something more beautiful than himself, he is most jealous of her as he went after Eve not Adam. He has a special interest in Eve. Notice how "Satan" has been putting women down for so many centuries and have us feeling powerless and pathetic? And so successfully since we believe the lies we are told that "we're not enough yet too much." Satan might have a peculiar interest towards women and it seems he hates her the most. But God loves woman as he has made her the crown of creation, the giver of life, and to bear his own Godly image in the most beautifully feminine way.

    Anyways, I really recommend reading the book, it explains it a lot better than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane!!

    I love it when people disagree with me, especially when they do it with class, as you have. :-)

    I know the book you're referring to; and although I have not read it myself, several women have summarized it for me. It's another very interesting perspective.

    My story is a fictional account that I just played around with while wondering what could possibly have been going on in Eve's mind.

    But to make it clear, I don't see Eve as representing just women. I tend to think that everyone, regardless of their gender, can identify with both Adam and Eve.

    Thank you for your wonderful comment and making me think some more...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours was a good story. It was definitely thought provoking, but due to certain selfish feminist reasons I hope to g/God that he did not love Adam more than Eve. I would be so crushed if he did. :P

    In the most minimalist terms, I think all would agree that Eve doubted God and I do too sometimes. She thought God was holding out on her and Adam let her doubt him. Silent, he didn't do anything to help her. He just stood there and watched. The equivalent of letting a little girl die on the street?

    Maybe I'm a little bitter for all the criticizing of Eve and letting Adam off the hook so easy. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I probably shouldn't do this, but I can't resist.

    So...

    if Eve came out of Adam, does that mean when they had sex he was really fucking himself?

    I guess what I actually should be saying is that I believe in God but don't believe in organized religion. I believe history is merely the big lie the majority agreed to believe in.

    There are a lot of people who take the bible far too literally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Anonymous!

    Hmm...

    I'd love to debate the topic with you, but I don't know what to do with such accusations without substance or supporting argument. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay... a friend pointed out that I should learn to express myself more explicitly in order to avoid misunderstandings. I clearly was not doing that in my last comment, so here I go with another try:

    Anonymous,
    I understand your frustration with those who take Bible passages literally. You seem to be implying that you think I am a literalist.

    My attempt with the post was not to address the issue of accuracy of the Bible. My only intent was to look at the story from a literary standpoint and explore the mindset of someone who is faced with a dilemma and a choice. I wanted to look at the thought process of how we justify the choices we make, regardless of the outcome.

    Whether Eve came out of Adam or not is irrelevant to the conflict I wanted to illustrate.

    You said: "I believe history is merely the big lie the majority agreed to believe in."

    So you do have a belief, correct? Everyone believes in something.

    My explorations into psychology, philosophy, religion, and even science are my attempts at defining what is true for me and understanding what may be true for others.

    Again, I would love to hear the arguments on which your beliefs are based.

    ReplyDelete