Saturday, October 11, 2008

HILLIGraphy - "Seven questions to change your life"

Seven Questions to Change Your Life
By Chuck Hillig


The quality of your life is often determined by the quality of the questions that you ask yourself. Your inner mind is, quite literally, compelled to answer all of your questions….voiced and unvoiced…no matter how limiting or self-destructive those questions might be.

For example, if you’ve ever wondered, “Why don’t things ever work out for me?” you’re going to come up with a very different answer than you would have if you had asked yourself “How can I learn more about myself from what’s happening right now?”

And, if you’re foolish enough to ask yourself “Why am I such a loser,” your mind (in its infinite love for you) will dutifully come up with a list of all of the reasons why you are, in fact, “a loser”…even if it has to make those reasons up! You see, phrasing the question like that subtly implies that you’re already a loser, and now you’re just trying to discover “why.” Your mind is constructed to automatically support and validate all of your inner beliefs. In short, its prime directive is to make your perceptions about yourself and the world “right.” Avoid asking questions that only serve to contract your soul and harden your heart.

Whenever you have some quiet time, here are other questions for you to ask yourself:

1) “What are the five things that I value most in my life?” List them in their order of importance. You might be surprised which one shows up on top.

2) “What are the three most important goals in my life right now?” When you write them down, be sure to notice any difference between your stated goals and how you are actually living your life out on a day-to-day basis.

3) “If I won 100 million dollars in the next PowerBall lottery, how would I change my life?” This answer will tell you a lot about your selfishness, compassion and values.

4) “How would I spend my remaining time if I knew for certain that I would die exactly six months from today?” Would you travel to some place special? Hang out with family and friends? Become more spiritual?

5) “What kind of work would I do if I had that 100 million dollars mentioned above, but was still obliged to do some kind of 8-hour a day job in order to have access to it?” Maybe the answer to that question will tell you more about your true passion in life.

6) “What activities in my younger years gave me the greatest feeling of freedom, importance and satisfaction?” Are you still participating in any of them? How do you stop yourself from enjoying those same activities right now?

7) Here’s my favorite: “What’s the one thing that I’d do in (and with) my life if I absolutely knew for certain that I couldn’t possibly fail?”

Asked with an open heart and without any expectations, these seven questions will unlock further treasures of self-awareness.

3 comments:

  1. excellent questions... I've been mulling this over for a few days. I like number 1. Five things I value most in my life:
    1) Freedom - to think, love, express, learn, and be myself
    2) Friends who think like me (like-minded)
    3) Trust in who I am
    4) Nature, art, music, science, universe, people... everything that is yet to be learned...everything that makes life possible
    5) Respect and validation from family and close friends(good luck!)

    Fascinating exercise. After doing #1, the rest just seems...well, unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, here's maybe an ironic story for a Blog related to MBTI? I read question #1 completely differently. As an "S" I read, literally, "five things I value most." And I started to think about things I would take on a desert island, things I would save from a hurricane, etc. It didn't occur to me think about five values I hold most dear until I saw Linda's comment.

    If anybody ever wondered what's the difference between an S and an N ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. smukke,

    That is interesting... It didn't even occur to me to look at it that way. hmm... now I'm wondering what Chuck actually meant.

    ReplyDelete