Saturday, October 25, 2008

Questions to ask yourself when choosing a career

I have recently learned that when doing a career exploration, it is important to ask the following questions:

Who am I?
Taking a good look at yourself and reflecting on what it is that makes you who you are is an important step toward choosing a career. The MBTI instrument is a great tool to use for self-awareness.

Why do I want to work?
The quick answer would be something like "because I need a job to make money." But if that were the only motivator for us to work and we get into a career that does not fit our personality or our interests, we would become unhappy and burned out very quickly - not having an outlet to use our gifts. The following are some examples of questions people ask themselves (taken from my lesson):
  • Why is my life important?
  • What role does work play in my overall life plan?
  • What motivates me to do my best?
  • What is my mission in life?
  • What does God have in mind for me?
Also, see my previous post on the MBTI Function Pairs.

Where do I want to work?

What kind of an environment would you like to work in? Indoors? Outdoors? Do you like to work with many people or alone? Do you like contributing as a part of a team? Do you like a structured and orderly environment or a fast-paced creative environment. For me, places like Google and Zappos sound very exciting (check out the links). Zappos also pays their employees to quit! And you can slap your CEO! Imagine that! But I digress... back to my points...

What do I want to do?
What is it that you want to do on a day-to-day basis? What type of work would make you get up in the morning looking forward to going to work? Or is that even something that is important to you? Perhaps routine (yes, frightening thought to an ENTP) is what excites you to do your best.......? I can't even imagine that, but anything's possible... ;-)

The Strong Interest Inventory and the MBTI instruments used together in combination is an excellent way to begin answering the above questions and exploring your career options.

No comments:

Post a Comment