Friday, November 27, 2009

Can I choose NOT to be merry?


November and December are my least favorite months of the year. I start getting into my grumpy mood about the second week in November and don't come out of it until after January.

Perhaps it has something to do with the cold weather. But it's more likely that I become too overwhelmed with the pressures and obligations surrounding the holidays. There are just too many parties, gatherings, collections for the needy, family obligations, hours spent in traffic, and shopping for useless gifts.

I know I get this way every year... and it's getting worse.

You must give, you must love, you must socialize, you must be cheerful, and you MUST ENJOY EVERY MINUTE OF IT... or else! Or else? Yes... or else you are seen as a Scrooge and frowned upon. Or else you are a social misfit. Or else you will live a miserable life then shrivel up and die alone. Oh, really?

When? When did this unwritten social law go into effect?

And that's why I rebel against it. Not because I don't want to give, love, or socialize... but because I don't like anyone else telling me how, when, and whom to love. I don't feel like I have a choice in the matter during the holidays. What happened to our freedom to choose?

Maybe I'll start decorating a cherry tree in April and giving random gifts in August just to throw people off. Hmm...

It's a bad attitude, I know. Shame on me for not enjoying such a joyous time of the year. Is it just me? ;-)


4 comments:

  1. Exactly, exactly my thoughts and feelings! Thank you for articulating them so well. You are not alone, and there's nothing wrong with you.

    So no, it's not just you, and no it's not bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post sounds oh so INTP-ish to me, which promptly cracked a smile, being myself a hardcore INTP. (-:

    I really appreciate your informal and informative blog, on which I stumbled while on a personal "crusade" to reverse-engineer the MBTI: I think I figured out most of the basics, and that I'll find material for many refinements here.

    It's surprising how so few people have even heard of the MBTI here in Italy while in the US it seems like an institution, though.

    Anyway, congratulations and keep up the good work. (-:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was poking around on Second Touch and it links your one blog, which links to this one... I love this!

    I'm with you on this must be merry issue!! You put into words the very thing I feel every year! I am VERY slowly learning to let myself off the hook for a lot of it. We picked up take out on Christmas Day this last year [09]! That was a serious relaxing of the standards!! It was a major relief though! ;-)

    I love that you are taking art for a semester!! You are inspiring...

    ;-) lacey

    ReplyDelete