Monday, November 23, 2009

Popularity at what cost?

There is so much talk about the shocking performances at the AMA last night, such as that of Adam Lambert.

It is no shocking revelation that artists will always push the limits and force us out of our comfort zone. That's the beauty and the gift of art. But when does it cross the line? Where is that fine line when art becomes lost in the heap of I-dare-you-to-judge-me stunts? Don't get me wrong... I am not judging the content of the performance. I'm just wondering about the motivation behind it.




This makes me wonder if we, as social animals, all end up selling ourselves short for the cheap thrill of receiving momentary attention and/or admiration? Do we begin to lose our true selves in order to continue pleasing the audience?

If we succumb to the pressure of keeping our fans and constantly having to one-up ourselves, where is the freedom in that?

If freedom of expression is used as a crutch merely to shock people, where is the art in that?

Is it possible to rise above this dreaded addiction to attention? As I sit back and criticize others, I have to admit I often feel it too (the need to dare them, to please them, to prove a point to them... whatever it is, it can easily become a trap and a prison).

Am I showing my age with this view? Am I just not keeping up with what's current? Am I the one who's just not getting it?


Update: I had to revise some of my unfair and harsh statements I had previously written. I apologize if you saw them before the revision. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi,I really like your blog, I've been browsing through it for a few days and you covered some interesting topics, I could a link to your blog on our blog http://mbtiforum.net if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm glad you've enjoyed browsing through. It's just an outlet for me to let off some occasional steam and to practice thinking and writing...

    Please feel free to link it as you see fit. :)

    ReplyDelete