Saturday, November 14, 2009

I have no time for incompetence


If you've landed here via psychology.alltop.com, I apologize. This blog should not be listed there. I just want it said that I've asked for it to be removed from the list (but why is it still there?). I have no qualifications to talk about psychology other than the fact that I am a student of psychology and love to observe and contemplate human behavior in myself and others. Honestly, I was put there by mistake. I'm not an expert on the subject nor do I pretend to be, which brings me to my next point...

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be judgmental in what I'm about to say. I make a huge effort not to judge people (this is very important to me), but I cannot help but judge their performance. I'm just trying to be honest.

Those who know me understand that it's one of my pet peeves -- people pretending to be something they are not. Incompetent people should not pretend to be competent. Unqualified people should not pretend to be qualified. There should be a direct correlation between effort and reward. If recognition is given, it should be deserved. And if it is deserved, it should be given.

Service providers who charge high-quality prices with mediocre or inferior service? That annoys me to no end. Customers who are too stupid to notice or too "nice" to speak up, allowing them to continue in the same way? That annoys me even more. Pacifists who frown upon others for their honest critique? That downright infuriates me.

That's why I've always felt uncomfortable when people describe me as "nice." That's another thing that close friends know about me. I'm not
that nice. Sometimes I can even be cold and uncaring in trying to tell the truth. I'll lend you my shoulders (to a point) for your sob stories...sure. But don't let those sob stories interfere with your work or use them as an excuse for poor performance. If you can't keep up, remove yourself from the job and let someone else more competent take your spot. No hard feelings.

I'll only put up with it for one reason and one reason only -- if you have creative talent that surpasses your pain-in-the-ass-ness.

Is that bad? Is it just me?


(UPDATE: Yep... I was in one of my moods when I wrote this... oh well.)

Image: http://www.theodoresworld.net/archives/2009/07/judges_dont_belong_on_the_batt.html

3 comments:

  1. Oh, why should it be bad? I have it the same way! I would guess it's a typical ENTP attitutde, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Radek!

    Ah yes - the curse of the ENTP to require excellence not only of themselves but everyone else as well... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. On this subject, you might find this article interesting: http://thedailywtf.com/articles/up-or-out-solving-the-it-turnover-crisis.aspx

    I even felt the need to comment it on my own with a real-life example here: http://www.studentibicocca.it/blogs/wiz/783/_ though it's in Italian and somewhat Italy-centric. (-:

    Anyway, don't be over-critical on "your moods": as an INTP I'm almost constantly in that mood, especially when work is concerned. But the bright side is that given a good enough work environment, with superiors clever enough to be willing to listen to one of the youngest employees, they get free "insider" training courses because I profoundly believe that excellence must be shared and encouraged.

    ReplyDelete