Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fallen under the twitter spell


In a previous post, I expressed my skepticism about twitter. I did not understand what all the fuss was about. However, I was determined to have an open mind and give it a try.

After two months and 100+ followers/followees later, something strange has happened. I've become a tweep without even realizing it. The thing about twitter is that it is so multi-functional. It is your friend; it is your critic; it is your micro blog; it is your support group; it is your business coach; it is your teacher; it is your market researcher; it is your sales team; it is your counselor; it is your comic relief; it is your debate partner; it is your sounding board... etc. It is what you want it to be. (Umm... I think I vaguely remember Danu Poyner saying something to that effect when he challenged me to keep my twitter account for 30 days.) Every time you log in, you become instantly in touch with what the world is thinking, reading, watching, buying, selling, playing, eating... and so on.

"Who cares what you're doing every minute of every day?" one would ask. What I see as a common misconception about twitter is that it is a narcissistic self-promoting tool where a bunch of voyeurs/losers are following your every move for whatever reason. It really does sound rather silly from a newcomer's point of view.

The funny thing is... once you start throwing your thoughts/ideas/questions out there in the sea of minds, people respond. And you see thoughts that catch your eye which you want to respond to. You find friends who share similar ideas and interests - friends with whom you communicate with 140 characters or less at a time. No pressure and no obligations. People come and go as they please, and twitter never sleeps.

It's a world in which "unfollow" is the worst thing we can do to one another. And when you lose a follower, there's always another to follow.

Regardless of the differing opinions on the purposefulness of twitter, the fact remains that it has the internet community under its spell. Although I'm still clumsily trying to navigate my way, there's no denying that the world of twitter has grown (and still growing) too big to ignore.

Twitter seems to have its finger on the pulse of the world, and I'm finding myself humming and tweeting along.

I'm still here, twalive and twell, well beyond my challenge period... And twitter, I dedicate this song to you! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. Like you, my initial thoughts on Twitter were not real positive. However, I've given it time, and I'm beginning to come around.

    I've been blogging since 2004, but Twitter takes social networking to a new level. 100+ follows--color me impressed.

    Jim
    twitter.com/jbomb62

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out :)

    I started out like you did. It took me about 48 hours to see the potential of the thing and then I was hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim,
    Thank you for your comment. Yes, twitter is a very peculiar animal. I'm still learning.

    Danu,
    It took me over a month to finally begin to understand the appeal. Not only am I skeptical, I'm also very slow. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitter > Facebook > Friendfeed > all others. Twitter is fantastic

    ReplyDelete