Monday, July 21, 2008

My Life as a Klutz


Okay... This is embarrassing.

I started another MBTI workshop at my church this past Sunday. After getting a total of maybe 10 hours of sleep since Thursday (because of my Korean/American couples workshop...but I'll write about that later), it was a miracle that I was even able to remember my name.

Before we got started, I made a strong (very strong) pot of coffee and jumped right in. I usually have a music stand in front of me where I put my presentation notes, and I sit on a stool behind it off to the side of the screen where I show the power point.

The introduction went very well. I was looking confident and sounding very...well, on top of things. I was thinking, "This is going great! I'm getting pretty good at this..."

Then it happened. I suddenly got a cramp in my toe. You know, the kind where one toe gets all twisted and disfigured and won't line up nicely with the rest of the toes? So I discreetly moved my knee up and down to try and relieve the discomfort. In the process, I bumped the music stand, shaking the coffee cup that I had placed on the lip of the stand. Some coffee spilled out and disappeared under the binder. I thought to myself, "No one saw that. I'll just clean it up later," and I continued with my presentation.

About a minute later, I felt a trickle on my left knee. Obviously, more coffee had spilled out of the cup than I had thought. Everyone's gaze went from the screen to the rapidly growing dark spot on my white pant leg. I had no choice but to stop, swallow my pride, and ask for someone to get me some napkins.

I got over the humiliation pretty quickly, and I finished the remainder of the session with the huge, wet, dark-brown spot on my leg. I can safely say that there will never be a threat of arrogance with me, because things like this happen quite often.

I once had a serious and intelligent (so I thought) discussion with an extremely good-looking guitar teacher when I was looking to sign my daughter up for guitar lessons, and, upon getting in the car to head home, I discovered that my fly had been unzipped the whole time. Needless to say, we found another teacher. But I still get that sinking feeling in my stomach when I think about it. Can you imagine the discipline it took for him not to look down at my crotch and also keep a straight face? Ugh!

I think I'm getting pretty good at falling on my face in public. I even have a going joke that I'll be starting a ministry named "The Fall-Down Ministry," where people get to come and watch me fall down, so they can go home feeling better about themselves. Yep... I have no pride left at this point. Being graceful has never been one of my stronger traits. Oh well... I still get the job done. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment