Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Fear Overtaketh


I've been spending a lot of time over at CPP ICON Success site in the last few days, and I have to admit... I'm thoroughly intimidated.

I have come to the conclusion that it takes a certain type of an overachiever to keep up with the blogging world. "Am I up to par with these folks?" is the question that keeps swirling around in my head. Ever since Mike Shur, the administrator of the site, wrote an extremely encouraging post about me a few days ago, I feel myself pushing harder for... um... what exactly am I pushing for?

I've decided it's time to re-evaluate my vision and my goal.

Question #1: What is my main objective as an MBTI Practitioner?

It has never been about the money with me. If there was no money to be made, I would still do it. I love it that much. However, the sad fact is that people generally do not appreciate what they don't pay good money for. Free or minimal fee usually translates to "no need for commitment." Why is that? And not only that, my ISTJ husband would like to see some sort of a positive cash flow, however miniscule it may be. He basically lost his wife to MBTI in the recent months; and a slight financial gain would make the pain more bearable, I'm sure.

I would like everyone I consult/work with/help (whatever the lingo is) to learn how to maximize their gifts and begin to live their lives fully. I strongly believe that having an outlet to express/use our unique talents and be appreciated for them is vital in getting the full enjoyment out of life. We were created to create. We were created to BE and DO what we're good at, no? People often tell me, "Not everyone has that luxury." But I believe success automatically follows people who are passionate about what they do, not the other way around. Call me a dreamer.

Question #2: What should my focus be with the MBTI?

I've only conducted two real workshops (currenly on my third one), but I already know that I want to take it further than just the basic "What's my type?" stuff.

Will it be with career counseling? Should I concentrate on team-building? Marriage and family counseling appeal to me as well. I don't even know what I'm qualified to do, or how far I can go with this. I would also love to investigate the possibility of cross-cultural work. I have a good friend who is a retired high school counselor and a part-time MBTI practitioner in South Korea. But he doesn't speak much English, and I'm not good with Korean business lingo. hmmm... ideas explode in my head like fireworks...

Will everything just fall into place if I just relax and slow down my pace? But how can I, when I see people like Breanne and Mike, who seem almost superhuman to me.

Question #3: What if I don't succeed? What if everyone finds out that I'm not as competent as they (and I) thought I was?

AHHHHHHHHH! THE HORROR!

It's a scary world out there...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Linda!!! I just want to give you a big hug (which is very rare for my ISTJ preferences).

    I have to share a story with you that I thought of after Question #3.

    After a few months into my PhD program, I had a bit of a meltdown. I was convinced that I was not smart enough to be in a grad program. Everyone else seemed so much more talented and intelligent than me. I was terrified someone would find out my biggest secret- that I had fooled them into believing I was competent enough to get my PhD. No amount of consoling by my suportive boyfriend made me feel better (after all, he's my boyfriend, he has to tell me I'm smart!!!). One afternoon, I called one of the other students in my program and I could tell she had been crying. I asked what was wrong and she said, "I'm not smart enough to be in this program. Everyone else is smarter than me. I really think I fooled everyone in the faculty into thinking I was smart enough to do this!"

    I just started laughing (which did not amuse her) and then told her I said those exact same words to myself just a few hours earlier.

    We all go through moments of insecurity in our lives. I can assure you that you are just as talented as every other newly qualified MBTI practitioner. More importantly, your engagement and thirst for knowledge makes you miles ahead of many others! You keep plugging along and gaining experience wherever you can find it, and I assure you that one day you will look back on this blog post and be amazed at how far you've come!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww... Thank you, Breanne.

    I have these moments when I start feeling overwhelmed with all the possibilities and I feel light years away from catching up to others who seem to know so much more than me. I just have to remember to take deep, slow breaths, I guess...

    Thank you for your encouragement. It does help a lot. :^D

    (Breath in ~ breathe out... Ohm...)

    ReplyDelete