Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tips on Blogging

My friend Matt recently posted the following tips on successful blogging:

1. Have a strong theme to focus on

Be it a topic (economics, TV show, politics, my life, repairing microwaves, etc.) or location (My house, my street, my town, my city, etc.). This will allow you to build up an audience of like-minded people.

2. Post about three/four major posts per week

Any less and your blog probably won't build up a loyal readership, any more and discussions on a particular post will get lost.

3. Try to post every day

Even if it's just a few lines about something unrelated to your main theme.

4. Make it conversational

The advantage of blogs is that they can be more of a conversation between the writer and their readers than more mainstream media, so make your writing personable (maybe include a few lines about your day, or an anacdote, or even what's going on around you while you're writing).

5. Reply to people in the comment threads

You don't have to reply to everyone, but try to particpate at least once in each comment thread.

Trying to keep up with three blogs in this way is not at all easy... :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment