Thursday, July 3, 2008

Type - Trait - Behavior

When we're speaking about personalities, there are three factors that come into play: 1) behaviors; 2) traits that cause those behaviors; and 3) type, which is the hard-wired preference in the way we perceive information and make decisions.

When I was leading my group through my first MBTI workshop, many people were confused about the differences. I designed some power point slides which I am posting below (without the awesome animation... but you get the gist):

Behaviors can be readily observed. We can discuss behavior without addressing trait or type.

--------------------------
Traits cause behaviors. We must study behaviors in order to discuss trait. You can talk trait without discussing type.

---------------------------
Type is inborn. Just like the preference for left or right-handedness, we always have a preferred function which we feel more comfortable using.

----------------------------

Type cannot be validated without traits, and trait cannot be determined without behaviors. Type is the hard-wired preference that can be sorted; traits are universal in human nature in varying amounts and can be measured; and behaviors are observable and are the expression of type. However, through understanding and learning how to use our non-preferred functions when needed, we can become more balanced in learning, working, and communicating with other types at home, work/school, and play.

That is the way I understand it as of now. All those more knowledgeable and experienced... please feel free to correct me!

Well... I have to give myself E for Effort. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment