Friday, September 26, 2008

MBTI Type and Teams


When I first became a qualified (now certified) MBTI practitioner in May of this year, I was excited, wide-eyed, and overwhelmed. I had no idea where to begin, but as an ENTP, I accepted the challenge and decided to dive into the task of designing my first workshop. At the same time, I mentioned this in a post on one of my (other) blogs. Breanne Potter of CPP found the post and left a comment. The rest of the ongoing story of my MBTI journey can be seen on this very blog, which was created as a result of being inspired by Breanne's The MBTI Blog.

True to my N and P preferences, this blog has turned into a smörgåsbord of sorts, but I generally try to stay to the topics involving the MBTI and psychology (and philosophy, which in essence is very closely related to psychology, n'est pas?). That's the best I can do for now as far as having a focus... :-(

Taking Breanne's advice, I joined the CPP IconSuccess site (she wrote about it again in a recent post), wherein I found the information (which she posted in the forum) about the awesome MBTI® Practitioner Success Pack, which includes over $1,000 worth of materials for half the price. It has been a life-saver for me and played a crucial role in my growth as a practitioner. The kit includes everything a beginning practitioner could ask for/about and much, much more. I'm forever finding new and very helpful information in this treasure box full of goodies, which brings me to the subject at hand.

I have been recently involved in re-organizing the counseling ministry at my church. As a participating member in the restructuring of the ministry, I am actively involved in the organizational development process. I have also become the designated in-house MBTI trainer.

While looking through the pile of booklets to find information on communication, decision-making, and team-building, I came upon "Introduction to Type and Teams," written by Elizabeth Hirsh, Katherine W. Hirsh, and Sandra Krebs Hirsh. It is exactly what I needed in order for us to start off on the right foot.

Our organization currently has four initial members: INTP, ESTJ, ENTP, and INFJ

These are the summaries of what each can bring to the team, as set forth in the book:

INTP: Hallmark - Logic


Analytical, intellectual, and ingenious, INTPs work well when they can operate independently, search for truth, and use rational approaches to solve complex problems. Their curiosity leads them to research theories, contemplate what makes things work, and discover the long-term consequences of any given strategy or plan.

ESTJ: Hallmark - Decisiveness


Logical, directive, and organized, ESTJs work well when they can marshal and manipulate resources, implement plans, and accomplish tasks. They find and correct flaws, monitor events, and hold everyone accountable. Hard-working and responsible, they seek practical, realistic solutions to difficulties.

ENTP: Hallmark - Initiative

Perceptive, adaptable, and clever, ENTPs work well when they can take on challenges, improvise conceptual frameworks, and rally others to conquer issues strategically. They bring an inventive spirit to entrepreneurial endeavors, embrace change and innovation, and see ways of doing things that are not immediately obvious.

INFJ: Hallmark - Integrity

Insightful, inspiring, and creative. INFJs work well when they can concentrate on what matters to people, quietly exert influence, and model integrity. They envision ways to reach long-range goals, want to develop an atmosphere of mutual trust, and organize people and processes so that all benefit.


Now tell me.... how can we NOT succeed? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment