Monday, September 8, 2008

Two Types of People


I've been dragging my feet
and coming up with excuse after excuse for over 20 years why I'm not doing anything with my life. First, it was my marriage, then it was the house, then it was the kids, then it was the money... etc. etc. etc.

One of my favorite things to say
is: "You need no stinking credentials to do what you want to do." Uhhh... but the reality is, yes you do. We live in a world today where education and credentials mean everything (well, enough to be dismissed if you don't have them). Isn't that what we tell our kids?

I've concluded that there are two types of people who say, "You need no stinking credentials...":

  1. Those who have the credentials

  2. Those who are too lazy, too stupid, or unable in some way, shape or form to get the credentials.

If you are not in either category, then you have no right to say it. I hereby revoke my right that I always thought I had. I will get those stinking credentials, if it's the last thing I do.

And several years from now, after I've worked my a(**) off earning that right, I will stand proudly before you and say,

"You need no stinking credentials..."

3 comments:

  1. You don't *need* the credentials - they just make it easier.

    I have an uncle with 5 degrees and he is a Janitor. I have another family member with a HS diploma and he is a VP.

    Of course there are things that require bonafides - doctorin' laywerin' and stuff like that.

    But don't forget that one the the richest men in world did not finish High School.

    Degrees and certifications and education do not ensure success just as the lack of them do not guarantee failure, they just shift the odds on a statistical basis - but we are all individuals and statistics do not apply to individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a lot of education as well as credentials, so everyone must listen to what I say. ;-)

    I think that getting credentials for more credibility has a small pragmatic validity, but in your case that may be missing the larger point. An education in psychology will give you knowledge, insight and most importantly, skills. With such an education, as an MBTI Practitioner you will be more able to help your clients benefit from the assessments and you will be more able to create new and useful applications for the MBTI products. You will also have more options to branch out to other fields if they attract you. Think of it as enrichment of your ability to be effective rather than just a ticket to a higher level of professional status.

    Go Linda, Go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah... I've realized that the person that was most critical of me was... me! Because being an NT, nothing is ever good enough.

    And like you said, Richard, I do want to get into a field where the education is valuable and needed for licensing, etc.

    David, thank you for your input. And great for your VP relative!! Janitor could be a very rewarding job as well, depending on your perspective. :-) Yes, I do agree with you about success and failure.

    The fact is, if it were money and status that I was after, I could never sustain the energy required to do all this at this point in my life.

    ReplyDelete