Saturday, September 27, 2008

A typical dialogue between "S" and "N" preferences

I have a tendency to get deeply philosophical regardless of what subject I am talking about. This drives my husband and my son crazy, both of whom have an “S” (Sensing) preference. My daughter, a fellow “N” (iNtuitive), is usually a trooper about thinking along with me.

Here’s a typical S/N dialogue between my son and I:

Son: Do you prefer X or Z?

Me: It depends… are you asking because you have a preference and want it validated?

Son:
No, I just wanna know what you like.

Me: Will my answer influence the way you see X or Z?

Son:
No, just tell me if you like X or Z!

Me: I will have to first ask what makes X behave like an X. Is it affected by the Z? Do you think Z would also look like an X if it were not assumed that it is a Z? I also wonder if X may not at all be an X but just perceived to be one compared to Z. In that case, they may both be Zs and one is just a little less Z than the other.

Son: Are you gonna give me an answer?

Me: There are no answers. Because if they are both Xs or both Zs, then the choice no longer exists. Will you please explain to me why you think X is X?

Son: I don’t know why I bother asking you these questions…

Me:
No, wait!! Now you’ve got me thinking. Let’s think together about this… hmmm…

Son: (gone)

1 comment: