Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What do you do all day?


Breanne Potter is running a contest on her blog, and the prize she is offering is the most awesome of all time, although I already have all that she is offering. I’m entering anyway, because I like to win.

She asks the question, “What do you do all day?” to which the first thought that pops into my head is, “I have no earthly idea where the time goes, but it goes.” As an ISTJ, Breanne gives a play-by-play report of her morning activities. Taking her cue, let me give you an account of what my day as an ENTP was like today. See if you can pick out the behaviors that fit my preferences:

  • 8:00ish - The alarm clock goes off only after four hours of sleep. I was up late trying to finish up 80% of what was on my to-do list after 10:00 pm last night but passed out from exhaustion with just a couple more things left to do.
  • 8:30ish - Still in bed trying to wake up… I have to finish up my presentation before the 10am meeting with my pastor.
  • Sometime before 8:45 - Out of bed and at my desk, frantically making last minute revisions and printing.
  • Sometime after that – phone rings. Neighbor has a question. Get involved in conversation and forget what time it is.
  • 9:20ish – OMG!! I have to get ready! Off the phone.
  • 15 minutes (give or take) to shower, dress, put on minimal make-up, and quickly dry hair – record time!
  • 9:40ish – Back at the computer. More changes need to be made. Quick! Print again. Take a moment to admire my own work.
  • 9:50ish – Grab coffee, folders, laptop, and purse and into the garage… run back for cell phone and a pack of gum.
  • I suddenly remember that I agreed to attend a luncheon today without realizing that I have another afternoon meeting. I call the hostess and tell her that it probably will be a very short lunch for me.
  • 10:10 am – Run into the meeting at full speed, profusely apologizing, etc.
  • 12:00ish – meeting runs over; I’m late for the luncheon and have only a little over an hour before the next meeting. Calculate in my head (15 minutes there; 20 minutes to eat; 15 minutes to get back – just enough time!)
  • It takes 25 minutes there; 30 minutes to visit; and 25 minutes to get back – complete miscalculation!!
  • 1:35 pm – Terribly, terribly late for 1:15 meeting. Walk into the meeting hanging my head in shame.
  • 3:45ish – As I’m pulling into the driveway, I realize I have nothing planned for dinner. Back out of the driveway and to the grocery store.
  • 4:30ish - Back home, put groceries away, and to my desk to check emails. Start researching something that was brought up at the meeting.
  • 5:30ish – Husband comes home and snaps me out of my web trance. Dinner? He asks. I bolt into the kitchen and whip up something for dinner, again in record time. (Most things I do is in record time.)
  • 6:30ish – Clean up. Chat with daughter for about 20 min.
  • 7:00ish – Back to work until maybe 11:00ish, which will probably end up being after midnight because I just realized that I failed to make a to-do list today, which is why it’s now after 9:00 but I haven’t done any work other than blogging.

Today just happened to be a little crazier than usual; but generally, it is typical of my style. Okay…don’t judge me too quickly. I’m not proud of it! If you will notice, I know the precise times when I walked in late to the meetings, which means that I feel awful about it and want to correct it. My goal is to have a completely flawless “ish” day, which will indicate that everything was accomplished somewhat within the proposed time frame. ;-)


Now your turn... What's your type preference, and what do YOU do all day?

No comments:

Post a Comment