Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Perceptions - New information colored by the old?


It's interesting how people perceive things so differently. We all have stored information in our brains, a database if you will, that influences how we see things. I really don't know if there is any way around it. As we go through life, we are constantly compiling information into our brains. Any new information that we approach is affected, however slight, by what is already stored in our memory.

This post is in response to Richard’s post from yesterday, which referred to a simple list that I posted for fun without considering any possible misunderstandings it may cause. My immediate reaction was to be defensive about the type theory and CPP’s publications, which I hold in high regard. I also have great respect for my friend’s (also co-author for this blog) thoughts and opinions. I even felt somewhat responsible for whatever negative feelings it may have caused, and I searched to find some validity in his concerns. I tried (with great difficulty) to make a conscious effort to remove my bias on the subject to see the different perspectives. Remember Malcolm Gladwell’s book, Blink, and the idea of “thin-slicing?”

Let’s look at the facts:

Fact #1: There are many misconceptions about the MBTI instrument and the type theory in general.

Fact #2: Type alone cannot fully describe or explain the complexities of the human psyche.

Fact #3: Intention is the reality to the person giving the information; perception is the reality to the person receiving the information.

Fact #4: There’s no such thing as “one size fits all” personality type. But in order to make sense of the theory, some categorizing is necessary.

Fact #5: We must not dismiss the honest criticisms that are voiced if our desire is to educate, inform, and reach more people for a better understanding of ourselves and each other.

I am thinking about starting “Jung’s Type for Dummies” series once a week in hopes of helping people to understand the theory and (possibly) get past some of the misconceptions. Don’t hold me to it; it’s just an idea at this point (ENTP, etc.). I'm not an expert, so I'll need your help to discuss my limited knowledge.

I would conduct another poll to see what you guys think about this idea, but we know how that goes… the same two people will vote, and it will be a tie. :-(

Anyway, thank you, Richard…for being brave and bold enough to share your perspective in an honest yet tactful manner. Please feel free to show me (and others) more.

3 comments:

  1. Linda- this is your best post ever! Can I re-post some of this on my site? The facts section was phenomenal!!! I kept thinking "Yes...yes...why didn't I think to say that!"

    Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fact number three is the most intelligent thing I have read in a very long time. I will use it often and give you credit every time. The Dummies thing is a good idea and sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh... thank you. both.

    Of course you can use whatever you think would be helpful in any way, Breanne! :-)

    ReplyDelete