Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Allowing Myself to Feel...

[I think all mothers, regardless of their type (I happen to be ENTP) can be very sentimental. I allowed myself (although I couldn't stay there very long) a little time yesterday to reminisce. A quick walk down the memory lane and even one or two tears... although it immediately turned into a mission/project of finding the perfect picture for this post.] :-)

This seems like it was yesterday… First day of kindergarten.



Then suddenly, it’s first day of high school football practice. Wait… wait... wait another moment before you go… before you grow up...



Was it only last year that my son and I laid on our back deck in the middle of the night looking for shooting stars?

Just a few days ago, I was trying to remember when the last time was that he came tiptoeing into our bedroom in the middle of the night and quietly tapped me on the shoulder, being very careful not to wake his father.

“I’m scared, Mommy,” he would whisper into my ear. I remember being worried that he would never grow out of this habit. I’d walk him back to his bed and hold him until he fell asleep.

But when was the last time? I tried so hard to recall, but I could not remember. Has it been 6 years? 7 years? If I had known it was going to be the last time, I would have made a point to fully breathe in the experience.

How does it happen? How do we get so sucked up by our everyday routine, that our children go from this



To this


...in the blink of an eye?

I do have one memory on video, though:

I’m holding the camera. K is 4. M is 2. We’re getting ready for Halloween.

I say, “Hello… K and M! Say something to the camera!”

K says, “Hi Mommy, I love you all the way up to the moon!”

I say, “Why, thank you, K! I love you more.”

Then M says, “um…umm… I, I wuv you way up… ..Tars!”

His fuzzy head with his hair sticking straight up. I can almost smell his hair now...



No comments:

Post a Comment