Sunday, August 10, 2008

Introducing Chuck Hillig




He (Chuck Hillig) said "Yes!" Yay!! Although he doesn't know how often he will find the time to share his thoughts with us here, I'm happy to have him however sporadic. Chuck has just finished recording the audio book version of his book "Seeds for the Soul."

Here is Chuck:

Some time ago, my friend Linda asked me if I’d be willing to make periodic contributions to her blog. After thinking about it for a few days or so, I discovered that I really couldn’t come up with a good reason to say “no.” As part of the deal, though, Linda asked me to initially write a short introduction about myself, and so here are some of the highlights: I’m a retired, unmarried and still-licensed psychotherapist who lived earlier in southern California for 37 years. After backpacking alone through 16 countries in SE Asia in 2006, I bought a home in Lake of the Woods near Fredericksburg. Some of the backstory: Although I was born, raised and educated in Chicago as a Catholic (the Sisters of St. Joseph, the Dominicans, and the Jesuits), I discovered in my mid-20’s that I was resonating spiritually more with eastern philosophies. In 1970, I became a devotee of Raman Maharshi and have gone on to write five easy-to-understand books on eastern thought, specifically non-dualism. Besides English, my writings have been translated and published in German, Dutch, Hungarian, Russian, French and (in 2009) Italian. They’re available through Sentient Publications in Boulder, CO, or through www.amazon.com. For more information about what I've been into (and up to), I invite you to visit my website at: www.chuckhillig.com or simply Google “Chuck Hillig.”

We don't always see eye to eye on spiritual matters, but I am always awed by his insightful thoughts.

There is a quote in his book "Looking for God - Seeing the Whole in One" which I love:

An Enlightened Man: He acts, yet is not bound by his actions. He reaps the fruits of past actions yet is unaffected by them. He has a body but does not identify himself with it. He rests within it like a carriage. He appears to be an individual, yet he is present in all things everywhere. If people provide him with comfort and luxuries, he enjoys them and plays with them like a child. He bears no outward marks of a holy man. He remains quite unattached to the things of this world. ~ Shankara

I believe that enlightenment has no religious boundaries and does not discriminate.

While I was searching for a picture to post with this, I found this German link (I think it's German), wherein Chuck is interviewed in what appears to be German about his book "Enlightenment for Beginners" (so it appears - I can't read German). Isn't that cool?

I look forward to his future posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment