Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Paying Attention to Details

Why is it so hard for me to pay attention to details? The perceiving function, which is either through Sensing preference or iNtuitive preference, is the most difficult to balance, in my opinion. If any of you have any thoughts on this, I'd love to hear them.

I have an extreme "N" preference. I love to learn concepts, theories, anything that has to do with the "big picture." I don't like getting bits and pieces of information about something. I have to inhale the whole enchilada.

I am currently taking an on-line workshop to become qualified in the Strong Interest Inventory. As I was going through the tedious process of reading every word in each lesson (because you never know what will be on the test at the end of each module), I came to a realization. When I read, I absorb the idea rather than the details (such as the words). When I read something, hear something, watch something, I recognize the idea. I understand the message as a whole idea.

I understand and imprint the idea in my brain. But the specific words... I can read the same sentence five times, and I cannot repeat what I read back to you.

And I realized that this is how I learn everything. That's why I can never recall Bible verses, lyrics of a song, details from a movie, or details of conversations I've had.

You would think that after 44 years of living with this brain, I would run out of things to learn about it.

I knew I was an "N." I just didn't know how much it affects everything I do in life... and how much it affects the way I learn and communicate more than any other preference.

Going back to the original question, is my suspicion valid that the S/N preference is the most difficult to tap into the non-preferred side? Thus harder to balance? But isn't it the most crucial in seeing a different perspective? I'm so confused...

2 comments:

  1. Linda,

    I think we have the same brain.

    Moderate E
    Extreme N
    Moderate T
    Very High P

    David Kiersey is the one that said the first cut is the N/S preference and I have found it to be very true.

    I think that much of the world is geared towards the STJ preferences in that our culture tends to want a "recipe" for success, school, dating, finances, health, etc.

    Just list the 10 things we need to do or not do and we will stick to it!

    Unfortunately, I you see this a lot in churches. We grew up in a very conservative church where there were strong tendencies to create lists of "dos and don'ts".

    These approaches to life have never worked well for me because they tend to start with the details (boring!) and only after you have all the details will they move on to theory. I find it nearly impossible to learn without getting the concept first.

    It is my opinion that much of the repetition based "learning" I saw when I was a kid was aimed at the S preference. When I read something that made sense to me, I remembered it and could apply it. I drove my teachers crazy by neglecting my homework and then doing well on tests - my geometry teacher thought I cheated on my final and made me take it over while he monitored me (still got an A)

    My point in posting this is to say that the real power we have as an ENTP is our ability to conceptualize and (for many of us) make those concepts accessible for other people.

    We see the world differently and at times it can almost feel like a handicap - I was well into my 20s before I realized that my way of thinking and seeing things was not very common. So yes - I am not always as on top of the details as other people, but by applying my ability to conceptualize, I have found other ways to add value and be competitive in ways most other people cannot.

    Love the blog, I still check it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, David Rees!

    Yep, I'd say we are very similar in type. Wow! It's nice to actually communicate with another live human being whose brain may be wired like mine. hmmm...

    I had the same experience in my math classes as well (never had to study for a test), although the subject itself does not excite me a whole lot.

    I was over 40 before I realized that there's nothing wrong with the way my brain works; so I guess you have a head start on me. ;-)

    Encouragement from a fellow ENTP means a lot. Surprisingly so. Thanks, David!

    ReplyDelete