Monday, August 11, 2008

Sir Ken Robinson: Do schools kill creativity?

Last week, I fell in love with David Keirsey. This week, I'm in love with Sir Ken Robinson. This talk is from Feb 2006. Why haven't I seen it before? What an awesome person with an awesome vision for the future of education! He speaks my heart. This is what I've been trying to say for the past ten years, but did not have the right words...

In his hilarious TED speech, he touched my heart in places that were longing to be touched. I thought I was fighting a lonely and ineffective battle. But here's someone who is actually well respected and trying to make a difference. Bravo, Sir Robinson! (The video is 19 minutes but well worth it. Learn something, will ya?) :-)



One thing he said, though... When he was talking about women being better equipped to multi-task... I don't think that's a man/woman thing. I tend to think it's an S/N thing or SJ/NP thing. I am definitely not a multi-tasker, but my husband is. Any thoughts on this?

You can also listen to his lecture he gave in June 2008 at the award ceremony where he was awarded the Benjamin Franklin Medal by the UK's RSA (the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce).

3 comments:

  1. I would be prepared to completely agree with you about S/N or SJ/NP on multitasking -- except that my INTP husband can't multitask to save his life. I'm ENFP (though admittedly much more balanced on N and P than him), and multitasking is a way of being for me. Heck, I had to learn how to only do one thing at a time -- during the course of my skydiving lessons 10+ years ago! (Got the story on my blog somewhere, I think, if you're interested.)

    Wow...now I've got this on the brain and will have to ponder what allows/disallows multitasking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I should also point you toward a blog I stumbled upon a month or so ago: Freedom to Learn, by Dr. Peter Gray. You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alli,

    Thank you so much for that link! Yes I do love it! In fact, I'm adding it to my blog roll. Yay! :-)

    ReplyDelete