Saturday, August 9, 2008

MBTI Faux Pas?


I think I might have committed an MBTI faux pas. I've been talking about David Keirsey and his books and products here on my MBTI blog. Hmmm...

I am a huge fan of David Keirsey. His website is where I first became interested in the type theory. I was under the impression that Keirsey's organization was synonymous with MBTI, or at least affiliated somehow. I was wrong.


The MBTI(r) is a separate entity from KTS-II(r) MBTI stands for Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and KTS stands for Keirsey Temperament Sorter. They both deal with Myers' and Briggs' work. They both use Carl Jung's theory of psychological type. They both seem to be sound instruments. I don't know enough about the KTS to know the real differences between the two. Upon browsing the website, it seems that the Keirsey's programs are more focused on organizational development. The MBTI(r) and companies like CPP seem to offer more products that I'm interested in, dealing with relationships in general.

It seems that in the business world, everything is about the "brand" and the bottom line.

I spent all day today designing a brochure for my new business. I was wracking my brain trying to come up with ideas to get people to spend more money... to show them the value in what I offer. I was working on my "brand" as well. Is my focus turning toward money?

Where is that fine line? How can I run a business with a heart and not lose my vision? Am I fooling myself in trying to resist the temptation of the wonderful world of "show me the money?"

2 comments:

  1. Linda, the fact that you are even wondering how to preserve your principles about benefiting others through your work is very reassuring and I’m sure you will somehow find a way. Many people with businesses don’t think about that even once.

    You, like everything else on this planet have to eat. Unless you have an independent source of funds your MBTI enterprise will have to pay for itself. That will probably involve charging your customers for your services. They expect that, and you have already found that they will work harder at what you guide them to do because they have paid for it. The potential for the money-making aspect of any business eclipsing the person’s original vision and ideals is always there, but it not a given that profit and service to others have to be mutually exclusive.

    One of the larger goals of your teaching people MBTI is to help them be less conflicted within themselves. They will be more in harmony with their strengths and weaknesses and grow to have more respect for themselves. One way that you can express more respect for yourself is to grant yourself the monetary reward that you deserve for your very conscientious efforts. You deliver a valuable service in a unique way. You should be well compensated for that. To interfere with or inhibit that would not be living as an example of a less conflicted and more self-respecting person. If it doesn’t seem to help you, then no one is going to try it at your urging.

    Provide a good service. Charge a fair fee. Have fun. Watch your good work grow in the lives of others and in yourself. Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you, Richard. I'll keep that in mind. And I'll send you a bill. ;-)

    ReplyDelete