Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Happy Bre-Day!

Today is the day we've been waiting for!

I hereby present to you... *drum roll* ... our first BRE-DAY with our MBTI expert, Breanne Potter!!!!!!!!
**insert deafening applause here**


I came up with some questions for our first Q & A. This is a somewhat lengthy post, but it's soooo worth it for those of us who are fascinated by the MBTI personality types:

Linda: What is your MBTI type?

Bre:
I am an ISTJ (though I am Out of Preference on 2 facets of Introversion). I have very high clarity (5’s) for all 5 facets for Thinking and Judging!
Here is a link to my MBTI® Step II report: http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=F.6b937026-00f1-4ec2-b8b7-06f8a9dd6c00

Linda: What is your position at CPP?

Bre:
I am a Regional Consultant for Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, and Oklahoma. Basically, I travel around those states meeting with organizations who use (or are interested) in CPP’s assessments including the MBTI®, FIRO®-B, TKI, CPI™ and Strong Interest Inventory®. I do everything from answering minor questions related to interpreting assessments to designing entire Organizational Development plans.

Linda:
What made you decide to become involved with the MBTI?

Bre:
I have had an interest in personality assessments since my undergrad education at the University of Kansas (go Jayhawks!). I had some really fantastic professors who covered psychological theories, but also balanced that with application to “real life”…which I really needed as a STJ. I found myself reading psychological studies in grad school and saying “okay, that’s interesting…but what do we DO with that information?” The MBTI® filled that void in my life. I can apply the MBTI® to just about any life situation and use that common language to build relationships, improve communication, and foster understanding. I’m all about impact and results.

Linda: As someone with an extensive background in psychology and an experienced MBTI consultant, do you see a shift in the mindset of the American public toward human relations and customer service?

Bre: I think the greatest shift we are seeing today is the influence of Social Media. With Web 2.0 everyone has a voice and can instantly share opinions (whether good or bad) on the net within seconds. Twitter is revolutionizing the way companies handle complaints. For example, Comcast has a Twitter account and searches for its name constantly so it can quickly resolve complaints before the mass of twitter users hear a stream of negative information. I would even say that Web 2.0 is a benefit to Introverts and Sensing preferences. An introvert can take time to formulate their thoughts before posting for the world to see. A Sensing preference can spend just a few minutes on the web researching a company or product before purchasing.

Linda:
I have heard that there are many practitioners out there teaching the concept of MBTI incorrectly or using it for unethical purposes. i.e. using the instrument for matchmaking, hiring/firing, promotions, etc. What is your feeling regarding this?

Bre: I cringe every time I think of this! A few years ago I made it my personal mission to respond to every blog post that incorrectly describes the MBTI®. I quickly learned that is absolutely impossible. Not only are there people who use the MBTI® incorrectly (or unethically), but there are TONS of fake MBTI® sites out there, and most of the time the individual taking the assessment doesn’t care. They just want a free assessment. The result is someone who has received false MBTI® results, believes they’ve been put in a box, and doesn’t understand the difference between preferences and behaviors. As a Regional Consultant, my job is to offer lifetime support to MBTI® practitioners. If that means I sit down and review MBTI® concepts and ethical guidelines to keep the info fresh, I do.

CPP cannot police the use of the MBTI®, but we do what we can to condemn the use of assessments in a non-ethical way. I always say if you know someone using the MBTI® for hiring/firing/promotions, let me know!!!!! ;)

Linda: How important do you think it is for a newly trained practitioner to stay in tune with new research, materials, training, and other MBTI professionals?

Bre:
I think the most valuable resource available to Newly Qualified Practitioners is to network with other type professionals. These individuals have such a wealth of knowledge to share, and are always willing to help! I would suggest getting involved in your local APT chapter as well as national organizations such as APT, ASTD, and SHRM. CPP also facilitates online networking with other MBTI® practitioners through the CPP ICON Success Site (www.cppiconsuccess.com). I read and contribute there regularly. One thing I can assure every new practitioner is that there is an abundance of training material out there to help you develop your MBTI® knowledge.

It is ABSOLUTELY normal to be nervous during your first few interpretations/debriefs. That is part of the learning experience. However, there are so many binders and training guides that will help you develop a framework for your training that you will feel much more comfortable. In addition, CPP’s Regional Consultants are here to support you in your work with the MBTI®. Feel free to contact Customer Service or your Regional Consultant with any question. Everyone in these roles can answer your MBTI® questions quickly and thoroughly!

Linda:
There are many misconceptions about the MBTI instrument. If you had to choose one, what stands out most in your mind?

Bre: Oh, you are right! There are SO many. I wrote a blog about the 10 Most Common Misconceptions about the MBTI® (http://www.thembtiblog.com/2008/07/top-10-misconceptions-about-myers.html) and after I finished I thought of 10 more. I think the one that bugs me the most is that the MBTI® (or personality assessments in general) is no more scientific than horoscopes. There are hundreds of thousands of studies that show the reliability and validity of the MBTI® assessment. The assessment is based on sound psychological theory. People who say that rarely understand the theory behind the MBTI® and have not taken the authentic version of the MBTI® with a full debrief and validation of type. When someone tells me the MBTI® is horoscope-like (in that each description could be accurate for everyone), I take them through the MBTI® and then ask them to go through each type description and tell me whether each of them fits their personality. I have yet to have one person say that all (or even several) types match them.

Linda:
What would you say in response to the criticism that the MBTI instrument has reliability issues?

Bre:
This is one of my favorite topics. Carl Jung’s theory says that you are born with your preferences. Much like you are born with a preference for handedness, you are also born with a specific personality type. What we see in terms of reliability is really about the way the person answers questions. In other words: garbage in…garbage out. If you want to purposely fake the MBTI®, you can. If you have very low understanding of yourself, the way you answer may be unreliable…but your personality type is still innate (you just may not know how to express it). This issue goes hand in hand with people who say their type has changed. Your type will not change; your answers might change, but your innate type does not. What can happen is that you DEVELOP within your type and learn to cope with situations that are out of preference for you. For instance, many people with Perceiving type have difficulty with the J-P dichotomy when thinking about home life vs. work life. In other words, when at home they are a clear Perceiving preference, but at work they are forced into a Judging preference world of deadlines, timelines, routines, and schedules.

This is another reason why having an experienced/qualified practitioner administering the assessment is key. The practitioner should preface the assessment by asking the individual to answer the way they would if there were no outside constraints in the world affecting them. I always say “What would your ‘shoes off’ self do?”

I can tell you that my type has been stable throughout my life as far back as middle school, but I probably would have answered unreliably during my undergrad years. I was trying to fit a role that I thought was appropriate for my social situation. I was in a sorority and tried very hard to be an ESFP because that was how the organization operated. Ironically, I had a very rough time in the sorority my Junior year when I was on the Executive board and was in charge or house rules. I was “In the Grip” and my over-attention to details and strict adherence to rules and processes made me a nightmare. I was on TJ overload and couldn’t find a balance between who I was and who I thought I was supposed to be. Now I am comfortable in my ISTJ skin and work very hard to flex my strong preferences to the needs of others.

Linda:
Is there a clear and simple way to explain why someone would be consistently midzone in their preference?

Bre: There can be many issues present with many mid-zone scores. To name a few:
  • The individual might be answering questions inconsistently by imagining their behaviors at home versus work.
  • The individual may be “playing a role” such as what they believe others value or expect from them versus their true self.
  • The individual may not have a strong understanding of themselves (I know…this is uncomfortable to say and coach).
  • The individual may be very developed within their type (it is very easy to use this response for everyone because it sounds nice…but be careful, this is not often the case). As we move through life, our preferences will gravitate slightly toward the mid-zone. It is as if we begin trying our opposite type as we age (perhaps trying to see what we’ve missed out on).
Linda: How effective is the MBTI in career counseling?

Bre: I enjoy using the MBTI® in career counseling, especially when I combine the results with the Strong Interest Inventory®. The MBTI® Career Report is helpful because it shows what careers other people in your type have chosen. In other words, other ISTJs chose X career, so you might also enjoy that path. It is important to remember that the Career Report does not use any theory about the career and HOW it matches the MBTI® type. It only shows empirically where individuals with that type work.

What the Strong Interest Inventory® adds is another piece of the puzzle. I’ll give myself as an example. As an ISTJ, I am sort of an anomaly in my career. Most ISTJs would be uninterested in being in a consultative/sales role. However, once you understand my interests from the Strong Interest Inventory® it makes more sense. My interest codes are Enterprising and Artistic. That means I am drawn towards things like persuasive speaking, managing, training, marketing, etc. That’s right in line with my role at CPP. Now, I bring a unique perspective to the role as an ISTJ. I am very detailed, and work to create efficient processes for others to use. I am stable, loyal and consistent (which are all common with ISTJs).
The MBTI® shows the innate preferences, whereas the Strong shows the environmental influences. By the way, my interests on the Strong are not surprising as I grew up in a family who owned a civil engineering firm, so I was brought up learning about business and being an entrepreneur.

Linda: What do you think of the MindBlink blog? This is a trick question. ;-)

Bre: Oh, Linda!!! I heart you!!! I tell all of my new MBTI® practitioners about your blog so they can live through your experiences and be comforted knowing you feel the same fears! It also helps them know that success is on the way, and they should be as courageous as you and just put themselves out there!!!!


If you have your own questions concerning the MBTI, please remember that we always will have our Bre-Day!! I will try to keep track of the questions that come up periodically here, and we'll address them on our next Bre-Day.

2 comments:

  1. Breanne, the link to your Step II report is not working for some reason. But for the readers, here's the link for a sample Step II report.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda: Thanks for the insightful questions!
    Bre: Your thoughtful, in-depth responses provide great dimension to the applications of MBTI. As always, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete